Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Day in the Life of an Author

Thanks for all the nice comments on my posting of the workshop notes from last week's LUW conference. (If you missed it, check out the previous post.) Stacy Whitman, editor extraordinaire, pointed out that many editors hate semicolons. Guess I'll find out soon how Krista at Delacorte feels! For some reason I like them.

Yesterday my wife asked me to take a day off to get some things done. I, being the incredible husband that I am, agreed. Why am I telling you this? I have no idea.

Today it was back to work. I got an email from Krista this morning with her first crack at the "Cover Copy" for THE MAZE RUNNER, which is the little blurb you'd see on the inside jacket flap or back of the book. This was thrilling to me, I don't know why. I really liked it, but gave her some feedback. She changed it a bit and now it's pretty much ready to go.

The reason she's doing it is in preparation for officially introducing the Fall 2009 lineup to the publicity and marketing folks at Random House. This gave me chills. Also, she told me they're working on the cover and I might see something very soon.

I don't know if my brain can handle seeing 2 covers for 2 books so close together. It's going to be so interesting to see how much of a different feel it has, considering it's for an older audience than my 13th Reality books. I can't wait!!!

Also today - my other editor, Lisa at Shadow Mountain, asked me to write a cover letter they plan to include in the front of the advance copy for 13th Reality 2. And she was so nice to give me a WHOLE day to get it done. Nah, it was easy. I just hope it doesn't make me sound like an idiot. (hold the jokes)

I also spent today running, eating, brainstorming on 13th Book 3, and answering some very old emails. All while hanging at the SLC library with my writing posse: Sara Zarr, Anne Bowen, and Emily Wing Smith (well, not the running part). I'll spare you the details of our very interesting lunch conversation. Let's just say the word "gas" was used frequently.

Completely Random Question of the Day: Do you love or loathe Halloween (coming soon!)? I'll reveal my answer next time.

Have a great day!

15 comments:

Q said...

Get those ARCs out. I'm sure some people want to read them. Wink wink.

Kepe writing. I'm so excited for The Maze Runner.

Becky said...

Can you be indifferent to Halloween or no gray area allowed? If I had to choose between love and loathe, I would have to go with love; though this will be the first year I don't have Halloween fanatics living with me.

J.N. Future Author said...

cool! The cover to the Maze Runner had better be amazing ^.^

I love Halloween! because i love to dress up as characters and stuff

Cherry said...

This is me jealous.


Oh, and as far as Halloween goes, I like any excuse to eat treats and party with family and friends . . . or my writing posse, if I had one--sorry, this jealousy thing is like a monster under the bed; it comes and goes--I ate orange Oreos a few days ago; how many times a year can someone say that? Thumbs up for Halloween.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm reading an author blog like a crazed groupie. Let's face it, James, you're brilliant in your writing even if it is just a blog.

Halloween? LOVE IT! It's my favorite holiday. Wish the good folks of Puerto Rico (where I live) would quit calling it "the devil's birthday."

utahtroutboy said...

James...loved 13th Reality, my son and I can't wait for book 2. I am looking forward to Maze Runner. As for Halloween...it's best left to the kiddies. Adults dressing up drives me CRAZY, I usually try to take a vacation day from work on Halloween.

Worldbuilder Robin said...

Looking forward to just about everything you've got coming out, James (can I call you James? Mr. Dashner? Bro. Dashner?)

As for Halloween, I love the dressing up and the candy part, but I detest the "let's make everything over-the-top gory 'cause Halloween's all about the dark vile nasty stuff" trend that seems to get worse every year. But having an excuse to wear a costume is good, for me.

Anonymous said...

I've got your back with the semicolon, James. I know it lends kind of a classic, british feel, especially in children's writing (think Neil Gaiman), but I guess I'm kind of a traditionalist.

Love Halloween, by the way. It's only sensible for me to do so; after all, it's my birthday.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

I LOVE HALLOWEEN, DASHMAN! (And I know you hate it, unless you're wearing your footie pajamas.)

Shari said...

Congratulations on all your writing and publishing success.

I Loathe Halloween.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Can't wait for that ARC! Woot!

Halloween? I'm kind of apathetic, to be honest. I love the cuteness, but I don't find the creepy decorations terribly thrilling.

However? I am all about the candy. I wonder how old my kids will be before they notice certain chocolate bars going missing from their treat bags...

A Paperback Writer said...

Perhaps the reason these editors don't like semicolons is because they don't know how to use them correctly. I wonder how many editors actually take courses in grammar, punctuation, and the like.....

Halloween/Samhain. I know a few folks who won't celebrate it because it's "pagan." Ironically, these same people celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25 with evergreens, a big fire in the fireplace, and gift-giving. They also dye eggs at Easter. All those things are pagan, too. I think it's kind of funny.
I quite like Halloween.

Heather Moore said...

You probably hate Halloween, because you are just that twisted. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Maybe THE favorite (guess I'm twisted). I always dress up as a gypsy and set up a table in my driveway and read palms. Kids come from all over. It's great.

James Dashner said...

Worldbuilder Robin, please call me JAMES!

Thanks for all the Halloween comments. Most of you dig it. I dig it.

Cherry, please don't be jealous. Just use it as motivation. It will come. IT WILL COME.

Poker Cards said...

Yes, all is logical